Saturday, July 6, 2013

Independence Day 2013!

Fireworks are not that easy to capture, but if you have the right equipment and use the correct settings, you can capture some beautiful fireworks!

After not being able to even celebrate July 4th for the last two years, due to my surgery and an illness, I was very excited to try my hand at it this year!  They ended up rescheduling our local fireworks due to rain, twice.  The date is still to be determined!  So, I tried to go to the next city over, but due to other circumstances, we were unable to make it.

I found out this afternoon that there were fireworks tonight about half hour north of us,in a smaller park, out in the country, and on the way home from my husband-to-be's mother's house where we would be coming from.  Perfect!

So, I made sure I had all of my equipment, battery was fully charged, tripod was in my car... Let's do this!

We got there at 10 pm and had to pay $10 to park.  Not really what I had planned, but I was not going to let that stop me!  I got my camera and tripod and started walking around to find the best spot.  The show started and I struggled with my tripod,( I really need to practice with it more in the dark!) and with my fiance's help, I managed to get it set up.  I had to tip it back slightly since we were a little closer than I would have liked, but I was NOT going to miss this since I waited TWO YEARS!

I set the camera, ISO 100, F11, 10 second exposure, and pushed the shutter button to focus where they were ( I couldn't find my remote! UGH...).  Holding my breath and getting bit by mosquitoes, I prayed that I get at least ONE good shot!  Be in focus, be in focus.....

I took about 10 shots including the finale, which I knew right away, didn't turn out.  I could live with that.  Once the show was over, (it lasted about 30 minutes), we grabbed everything and made a run back to the car.  I had a 30 minute drive home.  I couldn't wait to see the fruit of my labor!

I held my breath again as I uploaded my shots....I got 2 that I am pleased with.  That is twice as much as I asked for, and I could not be happier!!  I can't wait to do this again and will have to wait awhile, but I will be ready!  Next time, I will make sure that I am in my location much earlier, and set up, with bug spray and ready to go!

So, here are the two that turned out....



No comments:

Post a Comment